Thursday, March 10, 2011

How to Survive Boredom 101

Sudokus and crosswords are the perfect things to do while bored. I've decided that almost any boring situation in which you can bring out a pen and paper, and not look like a douche, you are allowed to bust out that sudoku or crossword and boredom shall be no more. For example, when I go to a big lecture class I'll often, okay ALWAYS, bring out the school paper and attempt the crossword and do the sudoku.

Notice the verb-age on that last sentence because I can never finish/do a crossword by my lonesome. I mean I'm not some Ken Jennings who keeps random facts lodged in my brain just so I can complete the crosswords. However, if you are fortunate enough to have a friend who is along side you also wallowing in shared boredom, bring them along on the crossword train and then it suddenly becomes a win win situation. You get help on your crossword and your friend is also not bored.

However, help me out with my sudoku and I'll freakin' shank you. If one thing bugs me while doing any type of puzzle it's when people look over my freaking shoulder and try to help me out with my sudoku. Gah that bugs me so much. So side note, if you ever see me working on a sudoku and unless I specifically ask for help on it... DO NOT, OR SO HELP ME GOD, TRY TO ASSIST ME!

Anyways, these little puzzles are perfect distractions to really boring situations because you don't ever want to be that person who falls asleep right in the middle of something. Also if there was something super important going on then you'd still be able to pick up on it. And the sudoku is great for maybe one class, but say you have more than one lecture in the same day, the crossword is never finished so transferring that to the next class is really not that difficult. And the best part about taking the crossword to the next class, another friend/brain to pick for the random ass trivia.

Granted there are rules to follow while doing these puzzles in class or other situations.

Rule one: don't ever let the professor/ person giving the lecture/boring whatever see you actually doing these puzzles. My solution to this is don't sit in the front or always have another pad of paper somewhat over the puzzle so it at least looks like you are taking notes. This is just curtious to the other person, it makes it look like you care enough to actually take notes.

Rule two: make sure to look up occasionally from your puzzle to continue the ruse that you are actually listening. If you are going to go through all the trouble of putting another paper over your puzzle you might as well follow through with the charade of listening. I mean it becomes very highly suspicious if someone doesn't look at you while you are talking. So take a moment or two, look up and make a listening face to show that you are still some what interested.

Rule three: when putting your head together with a friend on solving crosswords, work out a silent system between the two of you. The reason for this is to reduce the appearance that you are both not paying attention. The only thing worse than noticing one person not listening is to you is two people not listening to you. My solution to this is to put the puzzle between the both of you and perhaps sometimes pointing out a clue that your friend might possible know the solution to. This might take a while to work out with your friend but when worked out it's like a beautiful puzzle solving ballet.

Rule four: take your time doing the puzzles. Why should you do this you may ask. Well you wouldn't want to finish the puzzle and then be stuck with nothing else to do for the rest of the lecture or other boring activity. If you find yourself continually solving the puzzles too quickly might I suggest buying a book of puzzles to do so you never run out. Granted a big book of puzzles would be way too noticeable, but ripping out the pages could work.

When these rules are followed puzzle doing becomes easy during boring situations. And who knows maybe you can become a master of puzzle doing like me. Just something to strive towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment