Friday, March 11, 2011

Couch Potato FTW.

I am a self diagnosed couch potato. I admit I'm pretty much addicted to TV. I'm not proud of it, but they always say the first step is admittance. It didn't happen suddenly. Like most addictions, it started off as a gradual thing.

When I was little my mother was very restrictive on the amount of TV I got to watch. I was never able to watch TV on Sundays or during school vacations. I'd always have something to do, and that something usually was going to my brother's soccer games on the weekend. And whenever I did get to watch TV my dad always had control over the remote, so I never got to choose what I wanted to watch. When I got older and I could eventually stay at home by myself what else would I do but turn on the TV.

It would be a few hours here, a few hours there, but in the begining I never would spend the whole time watching for the simple fear of my mother coming home seeing my just sitting on the couch having done nothing the whole time she was gone. Because an angry Asian mother is never a pretty sight. If she were to ever catch me spending the whole day in front of the television I think she would probably ban me from watching TV for a whole month... Wait, she has done that before.

So my secret TV watching went on for a while. I was like a crack addict hiding away in my closet. Taking a hit whenever I could. The second I could hear my parents start their car, the TV would be on and I'd be channel surfing the hours away. And the chores my parents gave me to do while they were away, were haphazardly done 30 minutes before they were due home. But the TV watching eventually caught up with me. My parents walked in on me doing some chores with the TV still on, but surprisingly they didn't really seam to care. So that lead to my parents seeing me on the couch just watching TV, and they didn't seem to mind that either as long as all of my chores were done.

Eventually all this TV watching lead to watching TV when my parents were home, to staying up to watch the next TV show, to having TV shows that I NEEDED to watch, to being full blown addicted and glued to the screen. It wasn't helped recently when my own father decided to upgrade our regular channels to the digital channels that has like 100 more channels to watch.

So if i didn't have enough of an addiction, my parents just added to the fact that I can now spend more time watching reality shows, cooking shows, comedy shows, medical shows and all the trashy television I love watching. Really, there is almost too much to keep up with some times.

But it's not like I even want to be cured of this "disease". I mean know I waste a lot of time watching TV, but I enjoy it. I mean have you seen the shit they put on nowadays? It is freakin' awesome. And being a person who likes to be up to date on pop culture, I feel like this TV watching does wounders for my pop culture knowledge. And until TV actually hinders my life I doubt I'll be quitting any time soon.

Spoken like a true addict. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment